Monday, November 24, 2014

Ides of merch

Snow Glow Elsa doll, entertainmentearth.com

Ah, the annual 'you won't believe what people will do to get their hands on *insert your overpriced piece of plastic here*' story.
This year, it's the Elsa doll from the movie Frozen but tradition goes way, way back. Some of the parents currently chasing their tails in the quest for the toy may even remember the fuss over the Cabbage Patch Kids dolls of the early 1980s, that's if they can stop tussling with rival parents in north Dublin toy shops for long enough.
Cabbage Patch Kids dolls, from Nameberry.com

I won't pretend to know what's at play here, why otherwise sane mothers and fathers would entertain the idea of paying €500 for an Elsa Snow Glow Doll. Or how it came to pass that we live in a world where, apparently, boxes that contained some incarnation of the toy are now being exchanged for cash.
Instead, I'm gonna focus on the fact that I've just bagged up 3 portions of Slow-Cooked Beef in Espresso Bean Sauce, which I brewed overnight on Saturday. I harvested the recipe from boards.ie after nabbing some steak pieces on the same day that I picked up the oxtail.
Due to work commitments and a rising panic over fruit and veg that have to be used up NOW, I'm freezing the whole lot until later in the week, but I want to note that the leftover sauce may end up marinading chicken pieces in a couple of days. It's rather tart, vinegary almost, so why not pair it with more versatile fowl?
Let's see how this goes...

No comments: